Wednesday, April 29, 2009

All Porsche day







Ok so I have a soft spot for early Porsche 911's, espicially race or competition prepared examples. 1973 911 Carrera RS, hot engine, half cage, race seats... perfection! I think the first photo just shows what a classically beautiful design they are and in my opinion no other 911 looks anywhere near as good. The 80's and 90's versions became over adorned yuppie mobiles and the newer ones are technically far superior but in my opinion they don't posses the same character and charm as the first model did.

The Porsche 914 was widely unloved by most people, and to be honest I can see why. They look a little awkward, and when new cost nearly as much as a 911 did. However, I still love them - particularly the 914-6. A proper flat 6 911 engine in the proper position (mid mount) in a lightweight bodyshell. American photographer Jeffery Zwart proved how good they are in the mid 90's by winning the Panama-Alaska rally in one, and I think that they are what the Fiat X19 should have been. There was a nice blue one getting around Adelaide a while back that sported wide period correct wheels, half cage, Sparco seats and a loud exhaust. I used to see it driving around the city sometimes, and it would make me stop in my tracks - the memory of that thing launching with a loud roar into a gap in traffic ahead of the bus I was in is burnt into my retina's. The shreak of the flat 6 drowned everything out, and I was sitting inside a public bus with about 50 other people! So I guess thats a long winded way of saying I really liked this 914-6....

No comments:

Post a Comment