Sunday, May 10, 2009

Toaster for Braun


This is my work for the final handup of the home appliance revisited project, part of final year Industrial Design studio. The breif was to design some sort of appliance with the 'corporate style' of either Braun or Ferrari. Despite my love of cars, I chose Braun as I am against Ferrari branding crappy consumer goods with their logo. Either way, I digress...

I chose to design a toaster as I think there are some really interesting avenues that can be explored that are currently left alone by toasters on the market today. Some may call me strange, but I think the process of toasting toast is cool - red hot elements caramelising bread as it turns from pale white to golden brown (and, if I'm cooking, jet black). I decided I wanted to show this process, but being a Braun product I couldnt really place clear windows showing the tech package. In the end I settled on the small blue tinted windows on diagonally opposite sides that provide a snapshot as to what is happening without giving the whole game away.

As is always the case, I was working to strict due dates and henceforth couldnt spend as much time refining the features as I would have liked. From what they told me, the lecturers really liked my design and suggested some further modifications I could make. They suggested possibly changing the tint of the windows from blue to orange which I think would make the product more exciting without losing the Braun aesthetic. I also would like to increase the radius of the two curved corners (I did this on my foamie and it worked a lot better). There are a few other small mods to make, and once I've made these I'll do the renders again and keep it as a folio piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment